Sunday, March 10, 2013

Afternoon

The day started well, with much promise, and really it stayed that way for the most part. Then all of a sudden I started to feel down. Everywhere I looked, I was reminded of Chip. I was reminded of all the things he wanted to do and now would not get the chance to do here and now. I thought I was doing pretty well, and now things have been a little rough. I really felt alone. I needed a hug. A big ol bear hug like he used to give me. Buck was there so I crossed the creek and walked over to him and he didn't run away like usual. He came to me. I put my arms around his neck and he bent down and gave me a big hug. Several of them. He seemed quite content to be there with me. Do you know how comforting it is to cry into a horses mane?  I breathed in the wonderful scent of horse, and he nuzzled my back with his lips. I was reminded of how Chip encouraged me to buy Buck , he said " If it is Love, then you need to buy him, and this is Love".  There is a reason that crazy horse is here. I know I have mentioned this before, but we have much to teach each other.

Then as I walked back across the creek and turned toward home, the calves started to play in the feed lot. They were running and leaping into the air, bucking and kicking and bulling one another. I suddenly realized, look at all this new life. Look at how joyous they are. We have made it through Winter. We are here. We lost a dear cow friend along the way, but she is now on her new journey. And it hit me - life is going on here. There is a metaphor here.  Chip was the one who always worried if the grass would grow again and I was the one who reassured him that, yes, it surely would. And I know without a doubt that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment